Key Concepts: Composing, Listening and appraising, appreciation and performance
At Grade Ruan C of E Primary School, our music curriculum intends to inspire creativity, self-expression and encourages our children on their musical journeys as well as giving them opportunities to connect with others. We hope to foster a lifelong love of music by exposing them to diverse musical experiences and igniting a passion for music. By listening and responding to different musical styles, finding their voices as singers and performers and as composers, all will enable them to become confident, reflective musicians.
‘Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity’ (The National Curriculum)
The aims of our Music curriculum are to develop pupils who:
- Can sing and use their voices individually and in a group
- Create and compose music on their own and with others
- Use technology appropriately when composing
- Have opportunities to learn a musical instrument
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated
- Listen to, review and evaluate the work of great composers and musicians from a range of historical periods, genres, styles and traditions
We are following the Charanga programme for each year group. Charanga is an online scheme of work in partnership with Cornwall Music Education Hub. It follows the National Curriculum and Ofsted guidance to provide composing, performing, listening and appraising opportunities in every lesson. This is carried out via a range of musical stimuli: from the modern to classical to world music.
The children have weekly singing worship as a whole school.
The following musical instrument tuition is available at school:
These are private lessons which parents are billed for termly. Lessons can be arranged by visiting the Cornwall Music Service Trust website by clicking the image below and completing a service agreement.
The notice period is 6 weeks - please inform CMST and the school in writing, if you wish your child to cease having lessons.